NYS Government Information
Department of State
The following are useful links to the Department of State:
Home Inspector General Information page is at: http://www.dos.state.ny.us
On this page you can find:
- License Applications
- Exam Schedules
- The Home Inspector Professional License Law
- List of schools that are qualified to provide inspector education
- Minutes of Home Inspector Council Meetings
- Applications to become a qualified school, instructor, etc.
The DOS home inspection FAQ page is here: http://www.dos.state.ny.us
Form to register a complaint against a home inspector, or any other profession licensed by the DOS: http://www.dos.state.ny.us
Information about the DOS Licensing Complaint Resolution Process is here: http://www.dos.state.ny.us
List of Home Inspector Advisory Council members is here: http://www.dos.state.ny.us
DOS responses to requests for interpretation for the following:
- Email correspondence from August 2006 concerning the definition of "partner" and "relative" as found in the inspector's duty of care.
- Letter dated Feb.7, 2007 concerning whether unlicensed individuals can work under a licensed inspector.
- Letter dated March 3, 2011 concerning inspectors making repairs to inspected property.